Monday, November 19, 2007

Movie: "Amazing Grace" Review


Normally I don't like to critique historical movies simply because it is problematic at best. Putting history and Hollywood together in the same sentence is almost like putting Hillary Clinton and John McCain together on the same ticket. Usually, it just doesn't mesh. I realize that viewing a movie for its historical value can be a futile effort (one that most Americans fall victim to). With all of that said, however, I want to give the highest praises I can for the movie "Amazing Grace." It is the story of the infamous William Wilberforce, who was the prominent anti-slavery voice in Parliament during the colonial era. The movie is from the perspective of the British (particularly the political participants in Parliament) and does a great job depicting the political struggles Wilberforce faced.

Of course the movie is not perfect. There is little depiction of slavery or of actual slaves. Again, the movie is from the perspective of Parliament primarily. There are also some historical mistakes in the story as well. Despite these errors, this movie gives a fantastic portrayal of colonial Britain and of the political struggle to outlaw the British slave trade.

I would reccomend this movie to anyone interested in the topic. It earns an A-.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I liked this movie a lot. Aside from the story, I think it did a wonderful job of showing what colonial London looked like with all of the drunks, homeless,etc.

Anonymous said...

I liked this movie a lot. Aside from the story, I think it did a wonderful job of showing what colonial London looked like with all of the drunks, homeless,etc.

Brian Tubbs said...

I really enjoyed this movie. It was extremely well done. And, I agree with James. It gave a great picture of 18th century and early 19th century London.

Anonymous said...

very interesting movie liked this movie a lot. Aside from the story,
thanks ,,

___________________
victor
Get 28 movie channels for 3 months free