Saturday, November 10, 2007

Book Review: "Race and Revolution" by Gary Nash


I realize that this is not a new book, but I still think it deserves some mention. I read "Race and Revolution" a few years back while I was still in my undergrad. It is one of the most insightful books I have ever read. The book completely changed the way I think about slavery and its significance during the American Revolution. We are often taught in high school that colonial society was somehow ignorant of the horrors of slavery, and that slaves themselves were too ignorant to know anything else. This complete falsehood is addressed in Gary Nash's book. The book is small (only 150 pages or so) but provides ample evidence to defend its claims. There are also several primary source documents that Nash added at the end of his narrative.

I would reccomend "Race and Revolution" to anyone interested in the history of the American Revolution. It is an essential part of our nation's past that needs to be told. I give this book 5 stars!

2 comments:

Travis said...

This is a wonderful book. It tells much of the truth about slavery during the American Revolution. I liked his book "The Unknown American Revolution" even more.

Makal said...

Great post ... thanks for sharing









_____________________________

Pulauweb Web Hosting Murah Indonesia

Adira Asuransi Kendaraan Terbaik Indonesia

Mobil Keluarga Terbaik di Indonesia
Ban Terbaik di Indonesia GT Radial