Friday, February 15, 2008

Informal Book Review: Providence and the Invention of the United States 1607-1876

I am not a big fan of religious history, but my uncle (who is also an historian) begged me to read this book. To be honest, I had never even heard of the author before. Once my uncle sent me to book, it sat on the top of the booksehelf for over 3 months. I finally decided to simply thumb through it, just to appease my stubborn uncle. Once I opened the book though, I was not able to put it down. This books is simply fantastic! I realize that we've been debating in recent posting how certain historians either promote or demean American history to a fanatical degree. Nicholas Guyatt, however, does a wonderful job of giving both sides of the story. He is neither a religious zealot or a secular scholar. He simply tells the history as it was (and is one heck of a writer might I add).

The book's main focus centers on the religious nature of colonial America, and how those religious standards helped to shape American society for both the good and bad. There is a trmendous amount of attention given to the history of the American Revolution, and what various religions and preachers were thinking at the time.

I cannot say enough about this book. If I had a "Top 10 List" of books, this one would easily make it. I reccomend it to all of you. Believe me, you will not be wasting your time. I think Brad and Brian will especially appreciate it, since they love religious history. I would also reccomend the book to be our featured book for March. It is simply that good.

Needless to say, the book gets an A+!!!

4 comments:

Brad Hart said...

I've heard very good things about this book. Thanks for the info Steve. The next time I make a run to Barnes & Noble or Amazon.com I think that I will be purchasing this book. We'll make sure to post this book as our featured book for March as well. Like I said, I think you are the 4th or 5th person I know that has raved about how great this book is. Thanks again.

Lindsey Shuman said...

I'll have to check it out. If you are wrong about the book being good can we charge you for the book's cost, Steve?

David Mabry said...

I have been looking for an excuse to buy another book, thanks Steve!!! Look for an upcoming review on a book from me!!!

Brad Hart said...

I for one will be looking forward to your book review, David. I enjoy it when people review a book so that I can know whether or not to buy it!