Sunday, February 3, 2008

New Books on Jefferson

*I win for making the 100th posting on this blog! Let's try for 1000!*
I apologize for the brevity of my posting, but I just wanted to mention a couple of new books on Thomas Jefferson. They have both received decent reviews (I doubt they will be Pulitzer Prize nominees, but that doesn't mean they are bad books) from historians and journalists in the field.

The first book is entitled Mr Jefferson's Women by John Kukla. From the title, you can assertain what the book is about. Kukla discusses the influence of Jefferson's mother, early love interest, wife, and of course Sally Hemmings.

The second book is Twilight at Monticello: The Final Years of Thomas Jefferson by Alan
Crawford. This book is literally hot off the presses. It became available on Amazon just this week. From what I've gathered, this book gives quite an in-depth view of how Jefferson's views became quite radical at the end of his life. In fact, Jefferson began to question the entire revolutionary movement at the end of his life, wondering if it would have been better to stay with Britain. This should be an exciting book, one that I can't wait to start reading.

1 comment:

David Mabry said...

Lindsey, I am going to stick with Dumas Malone, Willam Sterne Randall and Ellis. SO MUCH has been written on Jefferson you could spend your whole life just reading that.........